It's almost time for MEOWCon! I'm excited to head to Austin on Thursday to take part in @MEOWCon13, a action and music-packed conference for Women in Music! Thanks MEOW (Musicians for Equal Opportunities for Women) and found Carla DeSantis Black for putting it all together. I play Saturday night at 7pm and am in great company: there are nearly 100 performances by female artists in all styles of music, including hip hop, punk, country, pop, singer-songwriter and everything in between.
* The Woman of Valor Dinner on Thursday night - Oct 24th - honoring Suzi and Margaret Moser of the Austin Chronicle and the Austin Music Awards. These are two of the most formidable women in the music business and there will be lots of wonderful anecdotes, great food and even a performance by the queen of rock herself!
* Keynote speeches by Suzi (Friday) and the amazing Kathy Valentine (profiled today in the Austin American Statesman) who spent 30 years as a Go-Go = the most successful all-female band of all time!
* Panel discussions on topics like: Where are the Festival Headliners? Sexism, Blogs and Online Journalism, Guitar Heroes, Licensing to Film and TV, Britney to Miley: Why Do Good Girls Go Bad?, I Am Metal (And So Can You), Women, Music and Mental Health, Relatively Speaking: When your Family is in the Band and many, many more.
* One on One interviews with Jennifer Batten, Frightwig, Linda Chorney, Patricia Kennealy-Morrison.
* Workshops on the art of screaming, busking, taking care of your $, the legacy of Marian McPartland.
* Book readings by Evelyn McDonnell (Queens of Noise); Laina Dawes (What Are You Doing Here?)
and so much more!
Don't miss this LAST CHANCE to be a part of this historic event.